Felt “Count Down” Garland
Remember making paper “count down” garlands during the holidays when you were a kid? I know I do! This is our “green” version to be used year after year:
First, my apologies, I meant to take step-by-step photos…
Fortunately, this is a fairly simple project and I doubt crafty-minded folk like yourselves will need too much instruction.
- felt in various colors
- velcro (aplix)
- chenille sticks (pipe cleaners)
- hot glue (could also use other glue)
- hot glue gun
- any other desired decor for base
- After deciding how many days/links you want in your count down chain, cut as many same size strips out of your felt. I decided to have 24 “days” in my count down chain. So, I cut 24 strips each 1 inch wide out of 4 different colors of felt (6 of each color).
- Cut pieces of velcro so that they will fit neatly onto the ends of your felt strips. I cut 24 pieces for each of my 24 strips. I also cut a 25th piece of velcro to place on the base at the top of my chain (in this case, a tree).
- Glue the velcro pieces onto the ends of the felt strips so that when hooked, the felt will form a circle (a link).
- Use your felt strips to create a chain. I used red, green, blue, and yellow strips, keeping them in this order as I created my chain.
- Design and decorate a “base” to attach your chain. Depending on the event your “count down” is leading to, this could be anything! I chose a tree, but some other ideas might include a birthday cake, anniversary rings, or any other special event! Be sure to glue a piece of velcro to your base for attaching your chain.
- Secure a length of pipe cleaner on the back of your base (to hang).
- Attach your chain to your base and let the anticipation begin!
I think it might be nice to keep a basket near by to collect your family’s “days” as you count down. This might also be a fun way to work in counting and number games with older kiddos! Enjoy!